Below you will find our gala procedures for swimmers. Please read through them carefully and make sure you understand them.
- Event programmes will be e-mailed to all Members well before the closing date for entries.
- Certain Gala Programmes may be found in the handbook.
- Swimmers are to complete their own Entry Forms in consultation with the Head Coach.
- Gala entries are to be done via the website. You’ll find the link here: Gala Entries
- Gala Entry Fees to be paid via EFT.
- The Gala Secretary will send the Club a list of the entries submitted for the gala. These are to be checked in case of errors. Errors are to be reported directly to the Gala Secretary via email: Gala.email@example.com
- Swimmers are to arrive at the pool one (1) hour before the gala is due to start and are to report to their Coach for warm up.
- All swimmers are to report to their Coach before and immediately after their races for instruction, constructive criticism and feedback.
After each race, the swimmer must use the “loosen down” pool to loosen down. (This prevents the build-up of lactic acid. Lactic acid build-up would negatively affect the swimmer’s performance in the next race.)
PEA swimmers are to be courteous and mindful of their manners at all times. (All Officials at Galas are volunteers who give up of their personal time to enable the swimmers to achieve recordable times in their races. Simple ‘thank you’s’ are all that are needed to make the Officials feel appreciated.)
- As far as possible, PEA Members and swimmers are to sit together in a show of unity.
- We encourage all supporters to wear red. Supporters gear is available from the Secretary.
- Please note, parents are not permitted on the pool deck unless you are officiating.
If your child is unable to swim an event, please consult immediately with the Head Coach. Thereafter, please advise the Team Manager, in order that he/she may scratch the swimmer from the race with the Gala Administration staff. Scratchings are only accepted up to ½ an hour before the start of the session. The Club will be penalised if a swimmer does not present for his/her race, normally in the form of a fine, which will be passed on to the swimmer/parents.
The Team Manager is present at each and every gala and is the liaison between parents/swimmers and the Gala Administrative Office at the gala. The Team Manager is chosen from Club Members and must be registered with Swimming South Africa as an official. All queries, late entries and scratchings are to be referred to the Team Manager. All Relay Teams must report to the Team Manager well before reporting to the Competitor Steward to make sure that there have not been changes to the line-up. Swimming in the incorrect order as reflected the programme will mean disqualification. (See “Office Bearers” for full description of Team Manager responsibilities. Available from our Secretary.)
- PEA swimmers are to arrive at every Club gala in PEA attire. This includes any PEA apparel.
- Only the PEA swimming cap may be worn at Club galas.
Podium positions: Swimmers receiving medals must be attired in the official PEA tracksuit and black tracksuit pants. Closed sneakers or sports shoes must be worn. No bare feet permitted.
March-pasts: Should there be a march-past by the clubs, all PEA swimmers are to be in their official PEA tracksuit top and black tracksuit pants with closed sneakers or sports shoes.